Auditions for Karen Brody's BIRTH
at BOLD St. Louis in Brentwood, MO
Auditions for Karen Brody’s Birth on June 6th, 2011
Where: The Colt Companies Building, 8300 Manchester Road, St. Louis, MO 63144
When: Monday, June 6th, 2011 starting at 7 p.m. NO APPOINTMENT NECESSARY.
What to Bring: A résumé, if you have it; a headshot and/or recent photograph.
Audition: You may perform a 1-2 minute contemporary monologue of your choosing OR a cold reading from one of the sides provided.
The Show: Hailed as “the Vagina Monologues of childbirth,” Birth tells the story of eight women’s different pregnancy and birthing experiences. Journalist Karen Brody interviewed over one hundred women across the country, and the result is the two-act play Birth. This is a non-paying gig. BOLD Events are to bring awareness about childbirth and to bring communities of women together. Much like V-Day and The Vagina Monologues, these are nonprofit events. You do NOT have to have given birth in order to participate; however, an interest in women’s movements, women’s health, feminism, and using theatre to achieve social change is a plus.
Rehearsals to begin mid-July. We will rehearse Monday-Thursday from 7-10 p.m. at The Colt Companies Building (8300 Manchester Road)
Performances: Performances are on Sunday, August 28th, 2011 at Schlafly Tap Room. Last year’s show was completely sold out, so this year we are offering TWO performances: 1 p.m. and 5 p.m. on August 28th.
• Amanda: 28-year-old stay-at-home mother of two who lives in the suburbs of Seattle, WA. She’s athletic, mainstream, but liberal and very confident. Her voice is strong and powerful.
• Beth: a 35-year-old successful, high-powered computer systems manager from New Jersey. She’s friendly, confident and very straight forward.
• Janet: A 41-year-old lesbian who is a cameraman for documentary films. She lives in San Francisco. She’s happy and very easy-going.
• Jillian: A 45-year-old stay-at-home mother of four originally from Ohio, but lives in South Texas. She is very upbeat, light, funny – Jillian always sees the humor in life. She is optimistic and trusting with a naïveté that’s charming.
• Lisa: a 37-year-old African-American who works for an international women’s rights organization in Washington, DC. Lisa is angry, sarcastic and deeply sad about her birth experience.
• Natalie: 30-year-old successful artist who lives in Albuquerque, New Mexico. She is a strikingly beautiful bi-racial woman, smiles A LOT, is not super “earthy-crunchy” but is open to using alternative health like herbs and acupuncture.
• Sandy: 33-year-old freelance editor for an online magazine. She lives in Wisconsin. She is very likeable, with a “girl-next-door” voice.
• Vanessa: a 25-year-old Hispanic woman from New York City who runs her own business. She is strong-willed, funny, with a “couldn’t care what anybody thinks about me” attitude.
• Other Characters who speak for a short period of time include obstetricians, nurses, midwives, a doula, husbands, mothers, and mothers-in-law.
*The ages and ethnicities listed in the character breakdown are not carved in stone, so don’t count yourself out if you don’t fit one of these “types.”
To find out more about BOLD and Birth, check out http://boldaction.org/
To find out more about BOLD and Birth in St. Louis and to watch a clip from last year’s sold out show, go to http://www.boldinstlouis.com/
Any questions or concerns can be e-mailed to the director, Sarajane Alverson, at justsarajane [at] charter [dot] net.