Auditions for THE RED VELVET CAKE WAR
at Kirkwood Theatre Guild in Kirkwood, MO
Kirkwood Theatre Guild will be holding auditions for the first show of the 2012-2013 season:
THE RED VELVET CAKE WAR
Produced w/permission of Dramatists Play Service
a Jones Hope Wooten Comedy
Sunday, August 26 at 2pm
Kirkwood Community Center
111 S. Geyer Rd., Kirkwood, MO 63122
Each actor/actress will read for the 2 roles of most interest to them, but will be considered for ALL roles unless restrictions are specified. (Please choose only 1 of the Verdeen cousins – Gaynelle/Peaches/Jimmie Wyvette) You may be asked to do additional readings during the auditions.
ACCENTS – A Texas accent will be used by all for the production (Except Elsa). The accent will not be required for auditions, but it’s a plus if you give it a try. Those cast will receive dialect coaching.
REHEARSAL will begin the very next day… Monday, Aug 27, and in general (prior to tech week) run on M, W, Th from 7-10pm.
Fri – Nov 2nd – 8pm
Sat – Nov 3rd – 8pm
Sun – Nov 4th – 2pm
Thurs – Nov 8th – 8pm
Fri – Nov 9th – 8pm
Sat – Nov 10th – 8pm
Sun – Nov 11th – 2pm
Sweetgum, Texas (present day)
In this riotously funny Southern-fried comedy, the three Verdeen cousins – Gaynelle, Peaches, and Jimmie Wyvette – could not have picked a worse time to throw their family reunion. Their outrageous antics have set tongues wagging in the small town of Sweetgum (just down the road from Fayro) and the eyes of Texas are upon them, as their self-righteous Aunt LaMerle is quick to point out. But the cousins can’t back out of the reunion now. It’s on and Gaynelle is hosting; Peaches and Jimmie Wyvette have decided its success is the perfect way to prove Gaynelle’s sanity (having recently plowed her car through the bedroom of her husband’s mistress’s doublewide) to a skeptical court-appointed psychologist. Unfortunately, they face an uphill battle as a parade of wildly eccentric Verdeens gathers on the hottest day of July, smack-dab in the middle of Texas tornado season. Things spin hilariously out of control when a neighbor’s pet devours everything edible, a one-eyed suitor shows up to declare his love and a shocking high-stakes wager is made on who bakes the best red velvet cake. As this fast-paced uproarious romp barrels toward its surprising climax, you’ll wish your own family reunion was this much fun!
Characters: 8 Women, 4 Men
(ages listed below can be flexible… both up or down)
The characters of Purvis & Grover may be doubled!
The characters of Cee Cee & Mama Doll may be doubled!
- Gaynelle Verdeen Bodine: the walking nervous breakdown (40s); Her home provides the set… a comfortable Texas Victorian living/dining room. She once had it all together, but after attempting to mow down her husband’s white trash mistress… things are not exactly going her way…
- Peaches Verdeen Belrose: loud-talking, fun-loving, the wildest cousin (40s); The saucy, number one mortuarial cosmetologist in the tri-county area
- Jimmie Wyvette Verdeen: a hearty good ol’ girl, tomboy, the “peculiar” cousin (40s); The roughhewn store manager of Whatley’s Western Wear
- Uncle Aubrey Verdeen: the good-natured, oxygen-dependent, cantankerous patriarch of the Verdeen family (80s).
- Aunt LaMerle Verdeen Minshew: the sharp-tongued, self-serving matriarch of the Verdeen family (60s/70s).
- Newt Blaylock: one-eyed wig and bait salesman (50s).
- Cee Cee Windham: sassy and stylish, local TV hostess (40s/50s).
- Bitsy Hargis: prissy, prim, nosey, and a throw-back to the 1950s (40s).
- Elsa Dowdall: a German court-appointed psychologist (age is open).
- Cousin Purvis Verdeen: still wearin’ the plaid pants, a photo buff (50s/60s).
- Sheriff Grover Lout: a small-town sheriff (ever seen the sheriff in the Smokey and the Bandit films?) (50s)
- Mamma Doll Hargis: Bitsy’s mother, 80s to 120 (hee hee hee).
For more information, go to www.ktg-onstage.org or call 314-821-9956.