Website URL Ignite Theatre Company
Great people first, great performers second!
Ignite is urgently hiring an experienced set designer and builder to participate in our production of Elf The Musical; set to perform at The Grandel Theater December 13-18, 2022. Load-in and set build starts December 5, 2022, Tech week is December 5 -12, 2022.
Purpose of Position: Create and build a set for the winter mainstage production of Elf The Musical, while serving in a leadership position with student staff.
Collective Goals for position:
- To have fun and develop imagination and creativity.
- Give student staff a general understanding of set design and construction.
- Run a well-organized set build and strike.
- Work within a budget utilizing as many materials currently on hand.
- Exhibit Characteristics of: creativity, responsibility, patience, dependability, and maturity; be a self-starter and a team player with a positive attitude
Duties Include but are not limited to:
- Collaborate with the director to design the layout and look of the set using pencil sketches and software.
- Work with the costume, prop, make-up, lighting, and camera crews to confirm set details.
- Coordinate with Director of Production and Operations regarding budget, ordering of materials, U-Haul rental, and theater specifications.
- Negotiate with vendors to secure the best deals.
- Drive U-Haul to and from theater with needed set materials.
- Supervise set construction.
- Organize and delegate jobs to volunteers.
- Quality assurance on all aspects of the set.
- Brief crew and actors on set safety and also explaining how the set operates.
- Mentor a student staff member, including them in all the stages of the design and build process.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Excellent creative intelligence and time management skills.
- A good eye for detail and the ability to generate ideas.
- Deadline-driven and committed.
- Ignite prioritizes applicants who can confidently demonstrate an understanding of scenic design, and are able to ensure the timely execution of that scenic design. Applicants with a dependable knowledge of carpentry would be highly prioritized.
- A dependable vehicle or other mode of transport.
- Ability to lift up-to-50lbs.
- Willingness to coordinate with Ignite vendors/contractors.
- Proven understanding of scenic design and an ability to communicate design elements in a visual way.
- Proven understanding of carpentry.
- Ability to coordinate with Ignite’s Staff & identify performance/equipment needs.
- Ability to work with children of all ages and their families.
- Must pass a background check.
- If hired, attend one training session prior to production. Training sessions will be held at a mutually agreeable date. This training session is mandatory.
- A “yes-and” attitude!
*Please note, we are a nonprofit theatre and have limited financial resources. We offer a stipend to contractors and listed pay is negotiable. Pay will vary by production.
Apply for this and other positions at: