Metro Theater Company is currently accepting audition submissions through Wednesday, July 28, 2021 for Last Stop on Market Street. Production information is below, visit our website to submit an audition.
Pay Rate: Non-Equity, $375 weekly
General Auditions: Video submissions will be accepted through Wednesday, July 28, 2021. (details below)
Callbacks: will be held in-person Tuesday, August 3.
Contact: John Wolbers, Producing Associate (he/him) firstname.lastname@example.org
Requirements: All auditioners must have access to local housing and transportation.
Last Stop on Market Street
By Cheryl L. West
Based on the book by Matt de la Peña and Christian Robinson
Music and lyrics by Lamont Dozier and Paris Dozier
Digital Recording and Underscoring by Paris Ray Dozier
Originally commissioned and produced by Chicago Children’s Theatre
and the Children’s Theatre Company
Director: Jacqueline Thompson
Artistic Director: Julia Flood
Music Director: Phil Woodmore
Choreographer/Movement Director: Christopher Page-Sanders
“Like Hamilton for kids” – Minneapolis Star Tribune
Get ready for a heart-thumpin’, toe-tappin’ joy ride in this Motown/hip-hop musical adaptation of New York Times bestselling and Newbery Medal-winning picture book Last Stop on Market Street! CJ is reluctantly staying with his Nana, in a world considerably different from the one he’s used to, always plugged in to his phone and tablet. The uncompromising child is dragged on a bus ride that’s loud and gritty and weird. Guided by his veritable force-of-nature Nana, CJ travels a little closer to his roots and sees that things are not always what they seem. With a spectacular, spirited score by Motown legend Lamont Dozier and his son Paris Ray Dozier, you might find yourself dancing in your seat as you enjoy this vibrant story about connecting to your
• The Music Director will host an in-person masterclass for the cast at a date TBD in late December 2021.
• 1/10/2022 – 2/5/2022 daytime, weekdays, and weekends, 5 days/week
• in-person at MTC rehearsal space at 3311 Washington Avenue in Grand Center (with safety protocols)
• in-person at the Grandel Theatre at 3610 Grandel Square, St. Louis, MO 63103
• 2/6/2022 – 2/27/2022 weekday school matinees and weekend public performances
• Possible extensions: 2/28/2022 – 3/6/2022 and an out-of-town showcase at the national TYA Conference March 23-25, 2022
• This production will have both live, indoor, in-person audiences and a video recorded performance for virtual audiences in schools throughout the region.
3 Women, 3 Men
All roles played by adult actors.
NANA TEACAKE: 50ish years old, Afro-Cuban
CJ: 7 years old, Black or Latino, her grandson
ENSEMBLE: Four additional actors (2 Women, 2 Men) play all the other characters. All are required to sing, dance, and may play instruments.
Characters in the play are written with he/him or she/her pronouns, however we invite gender non-conforming, genderqueer, transgender and non-binary actors to submit. Apart from Nana and CJ who have specific race/ethnicity requirements listed, MTC seeks all races and ethnicities for the ensemble. MTC also welcomes both actors with disabilities and non-disabled actors for
MATERIALS TO PREPARE
by Wednesday, July 28, 2021.
1. Complete and submit this google form.
2. Create a video audition with the following:
- Slate: Your name, pronouns, and titles of the pieces you’ll perform
- Monologue: a brief (maximum 1 minute) contemporary Comedic or Dramatic monologue or poem.
- Song: 32-64 bars or one verse and a chorus of a contemporary musical or R&B number.
3. Email email@example.com with the following items:
- your headshot and resume as two separate files. Please name the files with your full name.
- An unlisted, private, or password protected link to your Audition Video via YouTube or Vimeo. Include any necessary passwords or viewing information and know we will only share this link with members of the creative team. Please do not email video files.
If you have any questions about this process, email