Metro Theater Company is currently accepting audition submissions through Sunday, October 18, 2020 for Digging Up Dessa by Laura Schellhardt. All positions are paid.
MTC’s work is collaborative and centers on issues faced by young people and families in our community. Auditions have traditionally focused on physical, collaborative work in a shared space, but these are extraordinary times. As we are unable to gather in person this year, all auditions for this season will be virtual.
Callbacks for each individual show will take place with the director of that show over Zoom.
All productions in the 2020/2021 season will be video-recorded for possible streaming. MTC anticipates that productions will have both live, in-person audiences and virtual audiences in schools throughout the region.
Digging Up Dessa by Laura Schellhardt
Directed by Julia Flood
- Rehearsing: January 4 – 30, 2021; daytime weekdays and weekends, 5- 6 days/week
- Performing at The Grandel Theatre: January 31 – February 21, 2021 (possible extension through February 28); weekday school matinees and weekend public performances. The production will also be video recorded and streamed digitally.
Dessa is a modern-day, 12-year-old with no shortage of mysteries to solve and fossils to find. Her days are filled with buried treasures just waiting to be uncovered. But when her family of three unexpectedly becomes a family of two, this smart, funny young scientist struggles to overcome her grief and anger at all the changes in her world. Dessa’s unlikely comfort comes from a remarkable new friend, one only she can see and hear—Mary Anning, the 19th-century paleontologist who discovered a breakthrough dinosaur fossil at the age of 12 and became a pioneer in her field. But why is her portrait not on the museum wall alongside those of her male counterparts? Dessa decides that she’s going to fight to earn Mary the respect she deserves. With help from her new classmate and once-rival, Nilo, Dessa unearths secrets of the past and present—for Mary’s legacy and her own way forward. 60 minutes with no intermission.
Casting breakdown: 3 Women, 1 Man;
- DESSA: 12, (played by an adult) an adventurer, hunter of fossils, a realist, open ethnicity
- ESTHER: Dessa’s mother, a writer of songs, an idealist, open ethnicity, sings and plays ukulele
- NILO: 13, (played by an adult) a popular, privileged boy with the potential to be more, white
- MARY ANNING: The 19th Century British paleontologist as imagined by a 12-year old girl. Part bag-lady, part Mary Poppins, a pragmatist, open ethnicity
How To Audition
To submit an audition for this season, or for tips on creating video submissions, check out our website: https://www.metroplays.org/work
Please submit your audition by Sunday, October 18, 2020. For any other questions, please email Producing Associate, John Wolbers, at firstname.lastname@example.org